Thursday, July 19, 2012

HJC Photography Contest

This June and July, the HJC hosted a photography contest for the members of the Equus-Sims' community. The results are in and the winners will get featured in this update!

Julia Stuart and her daughter Amber had come to a local show to support their friends at Grafenhof Stables. When one rider had been passing by the section in the stands where the two were sitting, he stopped. Amber was elated when the horse extended her head so that she could pet its soft muzzle. Moments like these are what horsemanship is about. We'd like to thank Merle, who was kind enough to allow us to use her photograph in this article. She is an aspiring show jumper at Grafenhof Stable.


Christina Hanson, another rider at the same show but in the advanced level, and her horse LEC Call Me Casanova took first in their class. I asked her some questions after she received her blue ribbon. 
1). How do you feel when you enter the show ring?

"I think I feel the same as most athletes when they're about to perform. Your heart starts racing, your palms get sweaty, and your mind can easily become clouded with angst. The important thing I try to remember is to breathe, stay calm, and find faith within myself and my partner."

2). Do you compete in shows for the fun, or for the win?

"I compete for both, definitely. As a breeder, I compete to earn my horses reputation and respect. As an equestrian, I compete to earn glory. As a horsewoman, I compete to do what I enjoy the most: being around horses!"

3). How does it feel to win your class?

"It is always a great feeling when you've come out on top of such fierce competitors. Everyone works so hard to have the best horses, riders, and stables, so to win your class really says something about you and your horse's partnership."

4). How do you treat your horse after winning at the show? (Any special treats or activities?)

"It depends on the event, really. For more tasking events, my performance horses are treated to a two-day therapeutic treatment that includes massages, hours spent grazing in the meadows of Twinbrook, high protein and performance feed, some quiet downtime, and of course, lots of lovin'!"

No comments: